Friday, March 13, 2015

It's stuff dreams are made of

   I took this picture at a place called the Sloat Garden Center here in San Francisco. The combination of the writing on the man's shirt, his back, and his ponytail appearing from below his baseball cap formed a message with I found, and still do, both funny and obscure . On the one hand, it seems amusing because the dreams that the shirt is referencing seem from this rear view of the man seem to be about his style, which seem to me more like a nightmare; but the 'dreams' may also be a kind of half-sleep state where the kind of meaning being offered in the picture may only be imagined in that state, leaving me with an overly simplified reading.  
   I hope that the very act of my trying to understand the image helps me get closer to the the second type of understanding.



No comments:

Post a Comment