Monday, August 24, 2015

Alone island

I took this picture a couple of years ago while visiting China Camp State Park in San Rafael, California. It was quite warm that day, and being new to this particular park, my wife and I explored the area by car, looking for interesting things to see. About half way around the park loop, we saw something small in the distance, difficult to determine, which turned out to be the small island that you see below. We drove towards it, parked the car, then found a place to sit nearby.
   We sat under the hot sun on the edge of a hill and thought about what we were looking at, Was it man- made, and if not, how did it end up all alone there in the bay? It struck me as more alone than lonely at the time, and this feeling is for me still strong after visiting it again and thinking about it quite a bit over the last two years. There is for me a stoic quality about how utterly by itself it appears there, but there is also a strength and dignity to it. It seems like it's comfortable in it's solitude, and I admire and would like to attain that kind of peacefulness in myself.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment