Friday, September 4, 2015

Nest

   The nest below has been perched in this tree for the last six months or so. I remember seeing it being built by what seemed like multiple red-tailed hawks (it was definitely at least one), and when it was being constructed, the builder or builders seemed quite hurried and determined in their construction, yet I have yet to see any activity in it since that time, nor have I ever seen any chicks near it.
   Every day, when I walk the loop where the nest is, I pass it three times, and although I no longer expect to see any activity there, I often marvel at it's beauty, and sometimes think about it's apparently vacant status. It is so beautiful how this loose material has been put together in such a way that it has remained relatively unchanged since the time it was made, and although the lack of rain has, I imagine, contributed to its' longevity, I am still excited by how long it has lasted. It seems to me to be a reminder of the possibilities for beauty and creativity in the world that I live in, and I certainly need that reminder.


No comments:

Post a Comment